Stings and Bites
Big Bend Florida
Stingray, Jellyfish, Catfish, etc.
Most nasty of the
sting wounds. Be careful when wading our flats. Do the
stingray shuffle by scraping your feet along the bottom when wading.
If you get stung, do the following things; If the wound is bleeding,
stop the bleeding by applying direct pressure with a clean cloth.
Carefully examine the wound and remove the
Tweezers are good for this but be careful not to break the singer off,
this will cause further damage. Do not puncture yourself.
Applying water as hot as the person can stand (do not scald them) will
help to minimize the effects of the toxin in the stinger, as heat
neutralizes the toxin. You need to keep the area hot for at
least 1/2 hour to have an effect, longer if practical. Have the
person lay down to prevent further injury and the spread of the toxin.
If they are sick (vomiting, dizzy, etc) have them lay on their side to
prevent choking. Aspirin, Tylenol or Advil will help with the
pain, if they are not allergic to the medication. Almost all
stingray injuries will require a visit to the doctor's office.
Most of these
stings are accidental and occur when swimming or in removing the
jellyfish from your fishing line. Apply saltwater to the area of
the person that has been stung. DO NOT use FRESH WATER as this
will only increase the action of the toxin. Carefully remove any
remaining parts of the Jellyfish, rubber fish gloves are good for
this. Be very careful, you do not further injure the person or
yourself. If you have VINEGAR, apply it to the wounds.
Vinegar (acetic acid) will help to contain the toxins and neutralize
any remaining toxins on the surface of the skin. Keep the person
still, movement spreads the jellyfish and quickens the absorption of
the toxin. Aspirin, Tylenol or Advil will help with the pain, if they
are not allergic to the medication. See a doctor, as soon as
possible, to help fight any infection that may result.
that love to leave something behind. Hot water will help in
relieving the pain. Put the wounded area in water as hot as you
can tolerate until the pain is relieved. Remove the stinger with
a pair of tweezers, be careful to not break off the stinger, as this will surely
cause infection. Clean the wound like you would any puncture,
i.e. hydrogen peroxide and a complete fresh water rinse.
or Advil will help with the pain, if the person is not allergic to the
medication. Infection is the biggest risk. See a doctor
and take antibiotics.
Do not lick the
slime, you have only to look at several fellows on this board to see
the sad long-term effects.
All bites caused by Marine creatures required cleaning immediately
to prevent infection. This is generally done by rinsing the bite
with lots and lots of fresh water. Examine the wound and remove
any foreign matter, teeth, seaweed, etc that maybe present.
ReWash the wound. Cut away any dead tissue, be careful, dead
tissue only. Clean the wound again. Bandage the wound and
seek medical assitance.